On 22nd November, 2016, the National Universities Commission approved the issuance of provisional licence for the establishment of Coal City University, Enugu, with the commencement of Accounting programme. The first
set of the students numbering five were admitted for the 2016/2017 academic session. The pioneer Coordinator, Department of Accounting was Mr. Ifeanyichukwu Arthur Onyia.
The department of Accounting offers a four-year degree programme leading to the Award of Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting. The degree is acquired through course work and project/ original essay.
The general philosophy of undergraduate training in the Accounting programme is to provide the students with qualified education and training that will develop the mind, impart both theoretical and practical
knowledge on the individual student, develop self-confidence, help to be innovative and self–reliant in the field of Accounting.
Aims and Objectives of the Department
The major objectives of a bachelor’s degree in Accounting are to:
- Produce high level accounting personnel that can contribute to the development of accounting practice through researches and publications.
Provide basic knowledge and skills needed for the understanding and analysis of problems relating to accounting in the management of
industrial, commercial, public and other human organizations.
Equip students with knowledge and skills of decision making, especially the analytical skills needed for recognizing, defining, and solving problems.
- Develop in students, leadership and interpersonal relation skills in accounting/ management.
- Provide training aimed at improving and upgrading the existing and potential manpower needed for national development.
The learning objectives and outcomes are designed to provide students with capacity for critical thinking, technical knowledge, communication,
teamwork, ethics and social responsibility, entrepreneurial skills and use of technology.
On successful completion of this programme, the students should be able to:
Explain basic concepts and techniques of core accounting subject matter, including financial accounting and reporting, managerial accounting,
auditing, taxation and accounting information systems.
- Prepare and evaluate financial statements in line with the provisions of IFRS and IPSAS and statements issued by the financial reporting council of Nigeria.
- Analyze management control systems, prepare budgets and provide decision support for cost management and other managerial decisions.
- Analyze accounting processes, evaluate risk and recommend appropriate internal controls for accounting processes.
- Use accounting software to input and analyze data, improve efficiency and support management decision making.
- Prepare basic tax returns, analyse and communicate the effects of basic tax rules on individuals, partnerships and corporate entities.
- Perform basic analyses of financial systems and statements and write a report on the performance, financial condition and management effectiveness.
- Demonstrate skills and abilities relevant to the accounting profession, including effective written and oral communication and working effectively in teams.
- Identify ethical dilemmas in accounting practice and develop appropriate courses of action that consider the well-being and needs of the community and society
beyond the boundaries of the professional community.
The University Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) Entry Mode
The minimum academic requirement is credit level passes in five subjects at O’level in nationally recognized examination including English Language, Mathematics,
Financial Accounting, Economics and any other social science course at not more than two sittings.
Direct Entry Mode
- OND in relevant discipline with at least upper credit grade in addition to the five credit passes as stated above.
- HND in relevant discipline with at least upper credit grade in addition to the five credit passes as stated above.
- In addition to the O’ level requirements stipulated above, applicants should possess at least two A’ level papers in relevant subjects.
Through its vigorous programmes the Department of Accounting prepares its students for careers (job opportunities) in Business, in Multi-national
organizations, in Ministries, Departments and Agencies of Government, in Banking sector, Academic institutions. etc.
|Management Information System
|Public Sector Accounting
|Project/Research in Accounting